Just about everyone wants to be better, do better, have better, act better or live better in some way. It’s human nature to desire something better than what we have now. That is most definitely NOT a bad thing. This desire is responsible for much of the good in the world today.
But have you noticed that the majority of people don’t really get that much better, whether it’s being, doing, having, acting or living? Or if they do, they often slip backwards and may be worse off than before?
Below are 10 reasons why people don’t get better:
- What is Better? – The desire for better hasn’t been defined. You may know that you want more in life, but do you really know what that more is?
- Am I already Better? – Sometimes we don’t realize that we’ve already made progress in some areas. This lack of recognition keeps our attention in places it shouldn’t be.
- How much Better? – If we’ve picked an area to be better in, have we decided how much better? Just saying I want to make more money this year isn’t enough.
- Too many Betters? – Many times we decide on too many areas to get better in. There’s only so much time and attention that we can give to getting better. Let’s not do everything at once.
- Too few Betters? – Sometimes we don’t pick enough areas to get better in. While our time is limited, some things need or can be done together or in tandem to really work.
- Is it the wrong Better? – To everything there is some order. And that applies to getting better. You may apply for a new job, but have you developed the skills yet to do the job?
- Do your Betters make sense? – Do they fit together? Getting rich at any cost is not compatible with being closer with your family most of the time. Don’t be contradictory.
- Who makes me Better? – Who are you surrounding yourself with? Sometimes our biggest stumbling block are the friends and family we let influence us. Remove or limit the influence.
- Are my thoughts Better? – One of the most important things to do, and the hardest, is to limit the negative thoughts we all have. These hold you back as much or more than anything else.
- Why do I want to be Better? – This is huge too. If you don’t know why you want to do something, then it will never be important enough to do it at all.